Thursday, January 22, 2009

Color Me Impressed

Today I discovered the joy of a very unique and useful set of people... Professional movers.

In the past 5 years I have moved 7 times.  In all fairness, I was in college during most of that time so moves consisted of loading stuff into my car and dropping it off at whatever older/cheaper duplex (or parents' house) that I was moving into.  

Even so, moving was always tedious (and I always enjoyed procrastinating by blogging).  I would manage to collect an insane amount of stuff in as little as a year and would spend several nights weeding through it all, making several Goodwill runs, throwing away what they didn't want, and packing the rest of it into Tastefully Simple boxes that I stole from the pile in my mom's basement.

I would then move what would fit into my Blazer and transport it wherever it was going next.  This was followed by calling everyone I know who had a truck and begging them to help me move my furniture.  (Thanks, Phil!)  

After I had convinced someone it would be awesome to move furniture with me, we would load it up and I would spend the entire ride to the new place certain my stuff was going to go flying out the back.  I remember one time actually making my brother pull over on Hwy. 63 to make sure my mattress was secure.  (He did not seem so confident.)

I always made it without incident and spent the next, oh, month unpacking at the new place. (And putting my furniture back together always missing a few screws... Who knows where they went.)

So I assumed that packing up Richard and Kelley's apartment that holds 5 years worth of their stuff plus a baby and all the ridiculous amount of things that comes with one of those would be a fiasco to say the least.

But then my friends the movers showed up.

These 4 classic North Eastern men showed up this morning around 9:00.  They took a quick break for pizza and were gone by 2:00.  In that time, the packed up the entire apartment.  That's right, the entire living room, kitchen, storage, closets, everything is in boxes and ready for them to come back and move tomorrow.

On top of that, it's packed nicely and all the boxes are labeled.  It's not even my stuff and I'm excited.

They left our beds in tact and some other stuff that's still being sorted in the master bedroom, but they'll come back tomorrow morning, pack that stuff up, load up the truck and take it all away.  Kelley and Richard will see it again in about 6 weeks in Qatar.

All of this will be done in less than 9 hours work time.  That is an impressive feat.

I would write a poem about how awesome they are, but I gave up writing poetry about boys when I turned 16.  (Maybe.)

Song of the day: In Love with a Girl by Gavin DeGraw:

No comments: