Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Books of Kate, Chapter 2

Firstly, I would also like to thank my friend John for taking my threats seriously and posting on his blog after quite an absence.  I didn't know I had such internet power.  I'm becoming drunk on it.  I will soon be commanding the entire internet world (so, Google).

I had a lot plans about how I was going to share about all the books I've been reading, but then I got kind of bored of that because I was mainly rereading books I have already read over the holidays.  And while I do freakishly enjoy that, it didn't really create any blog-worthy insights.  So after a grand total of one entry on the subject so far, I've decided to revisit it.

Book #2 is Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.  Sedaris is a regular commentator on NPR (which I don't listen too, but I wish I did because it makes you sound cool) and a funny, funny man.

I rarely read anything that's supposed to be comical, but this book had me snickering out loud on the subway.  It's a collection of autobiographical essays, the first half of which are about his life growing up and the second half about life lived in Paris present-day. 

David Sedaris has an uncanny ability to completely peg people (and himself) in all their absurdities.  He devoted an entire chapter to a conversation he overheard on the metro in Paris between 2 denim and t-shirt clad Americans who thought he was a pick-pocket.  There's another chapter on his time as a drug-fueled performance artist followed by one on his foul-mouthed brother who calls himself the Rooster. 

He over-describes everything, and that's where he captures my heart.  I will inevitably love a book where the author can spend an entire chapter recounting a trip to the bathroom at a dinner party where he found someone else's feces clogging the toilet and was paranoid enough that someone would think it was his to do something about it.

In short, Sedaris has become my blog idol.  If I can convey the mundane workings of my life with half the wit and self-deprecation he does, I'll be happy. 

No comments: