Thursday, January 15, 2009

Scary!

Oh, my goodness!

A plane flying out of La Guardia just went down into the Hudson River.  I'm watching the news coverage right now.

It sounds like a flock of gulls were what caused it to go down.  That's right, the plane hit some birds and went down.  A big, commercial jet was taken down by a flock of birds.

Because of the dense population all around, the pilot decided to crash land in the water.  I guess it's good to know that your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device.

The good news is, it looks like everyone got off just fine.  Officials responded quickly, stayed calm and managed to get everyone out onto boats.  

I am actually comforted by things like that.  Birds fly into jets.  Accidents happen.  It comforts me to know that everyone is trained to handle it.

Well done pilots and NYPD and FD.

Still, I don't love the sight of a plane in the water and people in the inflated yellow life vests when I know I'm flying next week.  I'm just going to keep telling myself that you're more likely to die on the way to the airport than on the flight.

This reaffirms to me that take-off is the scariest part of a flight.  Looks like there are 146 more people who are going to be riding the rails.  

Also, it's crazy to hear coverage of this kind of stuff in New York.  I don't know that 9/11 will ever be erased from the forefront of the city's psyche.  I never would assume terrorist, but that seems to be everyone's first thought here.  Crazy.

*Oh, by the way, I didn't know about this until my stepsister called me to have me look up why she was hearing so many sirens in the Meat Packing District.  I was already on my computer, but I didn't know about it because I have my computer set to only show me celebrity gossip.  I changed it because that made me feel like a bad citizen.

1 comment:

Living on Love said...

don't get too worried Kate. By next weeks all the birds should have flown south. hope this eased your uneasiness