Friday, May 15, 2009

Workin' Girl (Does That Mean Hooker? If So, Please Ignore This Title)

Yep, you should check out Sseko.

Firstly, I would like to say thanks to both Bonnie and Sara for their encouragement of my songs of the day.  

On to today's post: 

You may wonder why I haven't posted for the past couple of days.  I know you've probably all missed me and my witticisms greatly, but I've been very busy and important.  You see, I have a job.  

That's right, folks.  I am officially a barista again and, man, does it feel good.

Wednesday and Thursday were my first days of legitimate paid work in a while.  We had barista training which was surprisingly fun.  I got to start to get to know the other 5 baristas I will be working with and they all seem pretty cool.  Although they're all way hipper than me.  One of the girls started talking about how it was really cool that we were all artists and that's when I had to break it to them that unless coloring with crayons in my Big Book of Fun and Games (Wal-Mart, $1) qualifies me as an artist, than she was mistaken.

But they're all pretty cool and I got to spend 2 days straight talking coffee.  We're using the Roasterie's coffee beans which means yummy.  Also, they sent in their barista trainer and he knows what's up.  He taught me a bunch of tricks that make me feel like I'm on my barista game.  I'm working on foam art.  I'm that legit.  Also, he talked a while about different beans and roasts and what flavors come from what regions.  I feel like Sara's the only one who's going to appreciate how fun this was, but trust me, it's exciting to learn these things.

Today was our first official opening.  We had a lot of people come in and say they had been waiting for a while for us to open up and were excited.  It was fun to see who was going to become a regular.  There is nothing I like better than random customer friends.  I'm definitely hoping it gets a lot busier but it was only our first day so I'm sure it will.

I've really enjoyed being in on the ground floor in this place.  They're definitely wanting our input on a lot of stuff and really listening to what we think will work or what won't.  It's going to be fun to see it take off.

So if you're in KC, come to Grand Street Coffee on the corner of 20th and Grand (a couple buildings down from the Western Auto building).  I'll make you an awesome drink.

But don't forget to tip your barista.

Much love.

Song of the Day: Home by Ian Axel

No comments: