Saturday, October 20, 2007

Settling In

Sorry it has been a few days. I'm definitely settling into the routine now, so the days are blending together. Still, I shall recap.

Thursday, I did absolutely nothing. And it was wonderful. Several people had stayed in Portland for the day off and Kristen and Sara had gone into Bend, so it was just Mandi and I in the house all day. I spent the day sleeping, reading and watching episodes of the West Wing. It doesn't get much better than that.

Friday morning was the Sports Center. I helped mop the skate park, which was pretty intense. You have to mop up the ramps in a lot of the parts so your arms get really tired. But I only had to do that for a little while and then I went to help mop the 4 basketball courts, which was slightly better. Still, it was a fun morning because we blast random 80s music while we clean and we're definitely learning how to clean quickly and efficiently.

We had operations lunch yesterday since we had Thursday off. We found out about the group in this weekend, which is a men's retreat from Rolling Hills church. I was excited to have someone besides high schoolers in because I knew it would bring a much different atmosphere to camp. It definitely has. There are a lot of men running around. They've been a lot of fun.

After ops lunch, we went to the Washboard and spent all afternoon stainblasting and folding. I really enjoy the Washboard because we're all in there together and it's easy work, so we get a lot of time just to talk and laugh and be silly. I'm coming to enjoy all the girls I work with, but I can see that it is definitely going to be difficult to live and work and spend all my time with the same people. I know there are days where it is just going to be miserable. But that's alright, I think it just comes with the territory.

After Washboard, we were done for the day and went back and hung out at the condo. I tried to go to bed early because we're open for morning espresso this weekend, which means I had to be in the Sassy at 6:45. And we all know, I'm not really a morning person. I had trouble getting to sleep, meaning I had very little last night. Still, morning espresso was really fun. The middle-aged men love their coffee, so we were really busy. It certainly kept me awake.

We were done with espresso by 9:00, but I was scheduled for the Sassy all day. So, I basically spent all day doing random stuff in the Sassy. I got to make some signs on the computer and use the laminater and do some cleaning and reorganize some stuff... I am coming to feel more and more like the Sassy is my own little domain, so it was a lot of fun just to be in there all day making it feel more like my own.

Since I went in so early, I got off at 3:30. People had just started on the ropes course and that's where most of the other interns were working, so I decided to go watch that for awhile. It was a lot of men trying to be really macho while actually being really scared. Which is understandable because that course terrifies me. It was fun to watch the interns run it and look like they knew what they were doing. It's also really pretty from up there.

After ropes, we all headed to dinner and then back to the condo. I've been downstairs talking with Kristen and Dan for the past couple of hours, but now it is definitely time for bed. I've got to help with checkout in the morning and then I'm doing vending which should be interesting and backbreaking. Gotta love it!

I love you all!

No comments: