Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day=Funniness

OK, I'm willing to admit when I have been completely wrong about something...

It is wonderful being back in Missouri.  I don't think that I realized that I was slightly uncomfortable everywhere else until I got back here for an extended period of time.  People are nice (when they want to be) and funny and they don't tell me I have an accent even thought I totally do.  (Seriously, it took me like 3 days to sound completely country.)

I've been in Jeff all week working at my parents' florist shop and it was hilariously fun.  The people that you hire to work at your florist in the middle of Missouri are always a fun group, as are the clientele you have in.

My favorite part of working at a florist is reading the cards that people put with their arrangements.  My favorite from this year was this message on a dozen roses:

Happy Valentine's Day
From Your Husband
P.S.  I want to tie you up...

If I could include a visual of the guy who penned that message, it would be even funnier.  But I think that would a complete invasion of privacy.  (And I don't take pictures of strangers.)

Also, let me give you all some advice: when you order flowers from someone, you don't have to give them the entire back story that goes with your reason for sending the flowers, but it will probably make them happy if you do.  

I spent about 10 minutes on the phone with one guy while he told me about how he accidentally cheated on the girl he was sending flowers to.  I spent another 5 minutes trying to help a guy craft a card that would get the man he was sending flowers to know he liked him without outing the guy to his parents whom he still lives with.  We ended up going with simply his initials and a phone number.  

It's a fun business.  

I worked at the shop all through high school and college part time.  I actually first started there in 2002.  So, even though I hadn't worked there for more than a day at a time in over 2 years, I knew exactly what I was doing.  In fact, there was a new girl in and I ended up spending quite a bit of time training her.  That was kind of funny and made me realize that if you do anything enough, it will never leave you.

There are several people there who have worked there for 5+ years so they have literally seen me grow up.  Our general manager was teasing me about how I used to just come in and sit down in the back and whine about how tired I was, all the while doing basically nothing.  I really was a horrible employee.  I would like to think that my work ethic has improved significantly since then.  (It has.)  Now I'm like the super-star employee there which I guess provides me with some job security if nothing else.

I'm headed to KC tonight and I have a couple of people to meet with over the next week.  So the job hunt really begins!  Should we start a countdown to see how long it takes me to become so frustrated at not being able to find a job that I move off the grid and take up a life style of complete self-sustainability rendering an income useless?  Or should I just continue to believe that the perfect job will fall into my lap within a week or two?  I don't know which one would provide better blog fodder.

We'll see...

1 comment:

Kelley and Richard said...

Ahhh, Missouri will always be unmatched in ways only a kid who grew up in Jeff could understand. I'm so glad you're feeling good about being home & I'm tasting the sweetness from a polar world away through your blog. Isabelle has doubled in size (well, practically) since she saw you last. I have my own theories about what loads of play space, tons of sunlight, & rodent-free places can do for a child. Or maybe it was a normal growth spurt, but no doubt she's loving the new environment. You'll be surprised to hear how I've let go of all militant-nap schedules and she's still thriving. Best of luck with the job hunt. Remember it's an ego-centric world out there & employers love hearing about their awesomeness & how you'll contribute to it. If they ask you the dreaded "what's your biggest flaw?" Tenacity. Can't go wrong with that answer. Oh geez, here I go with all the unsolicited older-sibling advice again! Love from Doha! K, R, & Isabelle