Thursday, October 2, 2008

New York, New York

I'm in NYC.  Talk about culture shock.  The departure from the Canyon was definitely odd.  I can't really imagine not seeing these people every day.  They are so much a part of my life now.   But it was easy to see the purpose of the year.  And turns out it is really kind of fun to be able to run to Starbucks whenever I want.  

We left the Canyon on Monday, after a very long night and early morning of cleaning.  I moved all my stuff up to storage, so they're not completely rid of me.  We had to be out of good ole' Condo 55 by 10:00 AM.  A bunch of the prop staff came to say good-bye which was really hard.  They're such solid people who cared for me so well.  But we said good-bye and hopped in the cars.  From there we made a stop all together at the A-Cafe in our beautiful town of Antelope, OR.  The messy good-byes happened there.  Luckily, I knew that I was going to see several of the interns within a couple weeks in NYC, so that made things a lot easier.  Also, the reunion is in December.  Still, it's weird.

From Antelope, I jumped in with Drew and headed towards Portland.  The drive to Portland is beautiful, along the Columbia River Gorge.  I spent Tuesday and Wednesday in Portland with Drew and her mom which was super fun.  We did things like get new phones, go to Ross and drink marguaritas.  It was great.  I had a midnight flight on Wednesday, so we decided to go out beforehand.  We met Nick and funny Chris whom I had never met at a bar called Henry's in downtown Portland.  We ended up all over the place Wednesday night and it was really fun.  It got me stoked for New York and, you know, actually going places.  As much as I love board games, it'll be fun to go out and be a real twenty-something for a little while.  Just a little while though.

Anyway, I had the red-eye and it was killer.  The loud lady who was really enjoying the in-flight movie was in my row.  I loved her.  She also yelled at me for putting the window up while we were landing because it was putting a glare on her TV.  And, although it's childish, I wanted to see the city as we flew in.  But whatever, I'm here, so I guess I'll see it plenty.  And you don't want to take on the lady.

I got to the city and found a taxi and said the street before the avenues just like you're supposed to and headed into the city.  I've been here a few hours now and am figuring out the routine with the beautiful baby Isabelle.  I'm dying to sleep but I want to fight through it in order to adjust to the east coast time.  3 time zones crossed.  Get used to east coast Kate.  

I have my cell phone back.  Call me!  Pictures will come soon.

2 comments:

e. lizabeth said...

"...just for a little bit..."

yah. hang out and being a normal twenty something (and PLEASE while you are at it do the classic college girl at a bar dance...you know the one i'm talking about) and then you'll come crawling back to board games and disney princess nights.

we will be bitter for a little, but will take you back with open arms :)

Craig Henry said...

east coast! welcome, sis.