Saturday, October 4, 2008

More Life in the City

I've discovered a few things about babies in the little bit of time that I've been here:  grown adults (myself included) will do literally anything to get a baby to smile, the bugaboo is the coolest stroller out there, baby einstein is literally crack for kids (I already knew this one, but it has been reaffirmed), and life would be a lot simper if I could be entertained by a plastic ring dangling in front of me for an hour.

I also have developed a theory that babies live in warp speed.  Their days are like 4 hours.  They grow rapidly.  They do everything we do, just quicker.  I'm still working on the theory.  After I do a double-blind experiment of some kind, I'll let you know if it has any validity.  (I may have already forgotten everything I learned in research methods... Sorry, Dr. Fine... Like Dr. Fine reads my blog, but just in case.)

I've been in New York for about 50 hours now and it is pretty much what I expected so far.  It's a little more intimidating than I thought it would be, but I think that's because I've been fighting through the worst case of jet lag I've ever had which is weird for me.  Traveling doesn't normally bother me.  I think I may be getting old.  But Kelley and Richard are very fun and little Isabelle is adorable.  I had my first couple of hours alone with her yesterday afternoon (by alone, I mean Kelley was in the next room) and it went well.  She really is a sweet baby, so I think it's going to be a lot of fun.  I already love the neighborhood I'm living in and I'm already slightly addicted to a coffee shop called Ciao for Now (thank goodness Kelley is in the know.)

Today is the big day.  I'm going to finish typing this and then head out on my own and go exploring.  I have the map my mom sent me and the location of the nearest H&M, so I'm pretty much set.  I'm really excited for everyone to get here so that we can really have some fun.  I've been keeping a list of fun things for us to do and it's long already, so everyone should be pumped.  

To my fellow Canyonites, I miss you like crazy.  I've decided I'm going to be an avid texter, so everyone hop on board with that.  Liz, we probably can't text because you live in Africa.
Everyone else, hop on board.  I love you all!

No comments: