Monday, October 6, 2008

Modern Art is Funny

Life in the city continues.  I'm hanging out in the apartment as Kelley and baby Isabelle are on their daily walk.  We're starting to get into the routine although babies are kind of exhausting. But we'll get it down.

Yesterday, I struck out to ride the subway for the first time.  Stacy had graciously invited me to come uptown and go the Museum of Modern Art with her and her friend, Breanne.  So, I found my subway stop, bought my metro card and headed off to meet them at Penn Station.  That was all pretty uneventful and I was feeling pretty awesome about my complete mastery of the entire city. (Entire city= the village and midtown).

It was fun to wander the 20 blocks up to MoMA.  Midtown is definitely different than my beautiful, brownstone lined neighborhood.  It's the true city, all big buildings and big crowds. But the MoMA was very fun.  Modern art is an interesting thing to me.  There were a lot of really cool things, like this set of Andy Warhol paintings:


But also a lot of really hilariously not art stuff, such as this pile of lint:And this floating gold foil cube:
Luckily, Stacy and Breanne both had very similar tastes in art as me and we spent a lot time mocking people who seemed to think these things were moving.  Breanne was hilarious, she's from Long Island and has an awesome accent.  And it was really fun getting to see Stacy again and hang out.

After MoMA, we went to this ridiculous burger joint inside Le Parker Meridian which is a super fancy hotel.  The burger joint is literally this tiny little room with a booth that sells only hamburgers, cheeseburgers and fries.  And it is delicious.  Only in New York will you find a dingy burger room inside a fancy hotel.  After dinner, we put Breanne back on the Long Island Rail Road and headed out to Brooklyn to see Stacy's place.  Her apartment was beautiful and it was again fun to hang out.  I rode the subway all the way back from Brooklyn by myself and although I got off a stop too late, made my way back without getting lost at all.  I'm feeling good.  

9 days until everyone gets here!  I'm so excited!  Hurry up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dont know how, but I stumbled across your blog and I saw that you wrote about sunday! It totally made my day. I am so happy that you enjoyed yourself. That was seriously one of the most fun days I have had in a while. I cant wait till everyone gets here, its gonna be crazy! :)