Saturday, November 10, 2007

Another Day, Another Dollar

Today was such a fun day. I really have enjoyed Work and Worship this weekend. The people who have come are, of course, awesome. And it has been fun to be a part of a weekend completely put on by us. Most of the time, speakers and musicians and everybody come in with the group. But this weekend is completely our staff putting on program for these amazing volunteers. And it was fun to walk around and see all of the work being done today.

We had morning espresso this morning, so I was up and in the Sassy by 6:30. After espresso, Becca and I were scheduled until 11:30, so we did some of the many things that needed to be done in the Sassy. We finished our deep clean list and then we went over to the kitchen and organized all the stuff we have in the freezer which took a long time and was extremely cold. It was really fun though to hang out with Becca and spend and easy morning.

The Work and Worship teams are on the most random jobs, so it's really kind of funny to see. A huge crew of people have joined the Maintenance boys to clean out the pond which is something the boys have been working on for about a week. Our pond is pretty huge, so it has been quite an undertaking to drain it. There are some problems with the irrigation, so it had to be done. This is the first time they have every drained it and it is nasty. There were all kinds of fish and a ton of algae and stuff. But it is drained and now they're doing what they can to clean it out. They volunteers have been raking all the algae and such out of the bank while the boys use the fire hose to clean off everything else. It'll stay drained through the winter and apparently it will take about 80 days to completely fill it back up. It's crazy.

Other groups are doing things like taking out all the flowers from the flower pots and recplacing windows and working on condos. Anything and everything is being done and it is awesome!

After lunch, I had the afternoon off which was so productive. I was able to get my room cleaned, finish some letters, pay some bills, take care of some stuff at the office, AND start some laundry. It was great. I feel much better about my life after having taken care of all of that.

I went to dinner tonight and sat with the Brown family and Kristen and Mike which was very pleasant. The Browns are great. Korey is running the MCL project and he and his wife Sara are very sweet and welcoming. They have 2 elementary school aged girls who have all kinds of attitude but are very sweet and funny and a little baby boy. I feel like I'm finally starting to really get to know people here, which is so comforting.

After dinner I went to the first part of worship. It was so refreshing and again, I love Judy. I had to sneak out early to open the Sassy, so I didn't get to here Ben speak which I was bummed about but worship was really good. The Sassy was crazy busy for the first hour we were open. So much so that Ben came in to get a soda and ended up scooping ice cream with us for a while. Also, our freezer broke again. So there was ice cream pouring out into the freezer and when we tried to take one of them out, the bottom busted and it was glooping out everywhere. It was really pretty hilarious and we ended up having a really good night.

I'm back in my condo. I'm super tired. I can't really sleep. We have morning espresso again tomorrow. I feel like this is the first real tiny glimpse of what the summer will be like. I can't wait.

Life in the Canyon... It's weird.

Love you all!

2 comments:

Paige said...

I just caught up on your last few posts so I now I know a little caught up with your life. I can't wait to talk to you sometime this week because I think it has been forever. Really just about 2 weeks but in Kate/Paige world that is forever. Miss you soooooooo much!

brycestuck said...

what kinds of candy do you sell at the Sassy?