Saturday, March 13, 2010

I Love Safeway

I'm 25 years old. I drink alcohol sometimes. I do so responsibly. I don't drink and drive. I don't ever get belligerently drunk. So it is completely appropriate for me to buy a whole lot of booze at our local Safeway before I have a bunch of friends over to play board games tonight.

However, I live in a small town, where a lot of people live pretty miserable lives. They tend to self-medicate with a combo of liquor, drugs, promiscuous sex, and other unhealthy behaviors. And I'm trying to demonstrate that life can actually be a lot better than that.

Oh, and I recognize half of the people in Safeway every time I go in and I'm pretty sure they recognize me. And know where I work. And half of them are teenagers.

So I had a plan today. I went into the store, got everything I needed and left the liquor for last. I made my way to that end of the store, picked it up (under the watchful eye of a girl across the aisle looking at bread and wearing a Lost Canyon sweatshirt), and then headed to the checkout.
And I'm feeling fine at this point. But then the checkout man took about an hour to check out my stuff. I'm not kidding when I say he spent at least 2 minutes trying to ring out a granola bar. I had 6 more of them on the conveyor belt. I think it would've worked to use any of them. But no.

And he started picking all the food out and leaving just the liquor on the belt. So as the line started to build behind me, it seriously looked like I was just buying a case of beer, the giant bottle of vodka, triple sec, rum, a couple bottles of wine, and limes.

Again, I have no moral qualms about purchasing all of this, but it was just one of those situations where I just kept thinking "really?!?"

So I went to the coffee shop and had a green tea smoothie to celebrate my patience. Well worth it.

Song of the Day: Suga Suga by Baby Bash (They keep playing this on the radio and every time they do, I have to jam. Mainly because it reminds me of 2005. And who didn't love 2005?)

No comments: