Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Life Plans

I just spent 2 days at my step-grandparents' house in Illinois and it was the most relaxing couple of days I've had in a long time.  I spent the entire 2 days reading, chatting, watching the squirrels, eating, sleeping, and often simply sitting in silence.

I'm spending a lot of time in the last couple of months trying to decide what kind of goals I want to meet in the next couple of years/rest of my life.  You know, developing a life plan and such.  I don't really know much yet, but I do know that one of my goals is to create a home that is relaxing and hospitable.  

I want complete strangers to come to my home and instinctually feel like they are at home and can relax.  I know this is possible not only from my grandparents but also from a woman named Marianne Walker.  Marianne lives in Sisters, OR which is a couple of hours from Wildhorse.  She has opened her house to the staff.  I went there several times and had pretty much the same experience as I did at my grandparents' every time.

After closely observing, I have discovered some keys to creating this kind of environment:

1) Fully stocked fridge/pantry that is offered sincerely and often.

2) Comfy beds

3) A willingness to chat/play games, but the ability to go about your daily life and let your guest sit around and do nothing

4) Quiet...  Soft music or background news channels/sitcom reruns are fine, but not too loud and not all day.

5)  A porch, yard, patio, neighborhood sidewalks, etc.

6)  Many books/movies or easy access to a Blockbuster and a B&N

7)  Baked goods and candy bowls.

That's all it takes people.  And really, you don't even need all of them.  You can have any combo of the above and still have the same effect.

See me when I own a home and we'll see if I've met this goal.

One week until I'm back in Missouri!  Come see me!




No comments: