Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thank You, Mr. Jobs

Yesterday, my roommate told me Steve Jobs died.

I was shocked. More shocked then is fitting for someone I didn't know. And I was saddened. I was a little surprised at how much I cared.

I love Mac products. I love the company: the way it inovates and the obvious joy it takes in creating. And how that combination equals some seriously kick-ass technology. And Steve Jobs was the face of that company for so long.

But he was not just a face, he was not just a spokesperson. It was clear, and has become more clear in the coverage of his life in the past couple of days, that he was THE innovator.

He created. And he took great joy in that. He loved the products he put out. He made exciting things, things that sounded like just dreams to other people. He didn't create for profit and sometimes he bombed hard (Mac Cube, anyone?), but he kept making things.

He devoted his life to it. And he clearly loved it.

And that changes the world.

There has been so much coverage in the last couple of days, and I have been engrossed with it. I've loved reading about the life he lived and the vision he employed. And I've been sad to think of everything we're going to miss out on with his early passing.

Of all the quotes and articles I've read, there's a couple that I've really loved. The first is his commencement address at Stanford, where he so clearly imparts what he really believes: that if you do what you love, if you follow your gut and set aside fear, you will know true success.

And then this article, that uses Mr. Jobs as an example of what true philanthropy is, which has little to do with how much money you give and so much more to do with using all of your potential to do whatever you love as excellently as you can.

I hope that I can as faithfully use my talents in this life. Thanks for the inspiration, Mr. Jobs.

No comments: