Monday, June 27, 2011

Scenes from a Summer Camp

I know you've all been wanting a clearer picture of what my day to day here at Lost Canyon looks like. So I'm going to spend a minute relaying a little scene that just happened here that I think pretty accurately represents how I spend my days:

I'm sitting in my office, valiantly attempting to catch up on a little bit of office work after a week of craziness where half of my department was gone taking kids to camp as leaders.

I'm half-listening to the constant chatter on our radios. (Our main means of communication: Ritron radios that someone is making noise on at least 75% of the day.)

I hear Abigail, one of my Housekeepers, pipe up on the radio, laughing a little and calling for Maintenance. I tune in because I assume something is broken in the building she's cleaning and I want to know about it. I overhear this conversation.

Abigail: "Maintenance, copy, Maintenance."

Matt (one of our Maintenance Techs): "Go ahead."

Abigail (with the clear sound of high school girls screaming and laughing in the background): "Um, hey, Matt. I'm here in Fossil (one of our dorm rooms) and the toilet's... Well, there's water running out of the toilet... The little hose thingy looked broken, so I tried to fix it and, well... It kind of sprayed out everywhere. Like, all over me. The toilet water sprayed me and it's, yeah, it's broken."

Matt (laughing a little): "Alright, I'll be right there. Are you still in the room?"

Abigail: "Yeah, I'm here."

Matt: "OK, stay there. I'll be right over."

Jim (Sites and Facilities Superintendent): "Abigail, that's reclaimed water. Don't worry about it."

(We all know where the reclaimed water comes from. You don't want to get sprayed with it.)

Abigail: "Oh, awesome. No, it's great. I'm soaked in toilet water. It's fine."

Me: "All part of the job, Abigail."

Abigail: "No, I'm fine with it. It was pretty hot, so it helped cool me off a little. No problem."

And, scene.


Yeah, this is pretty much my daily life. Never a dull moment.

And don't worry, those kids' toilet was fixed before they came back to their rooms. We're not messing around when it comes to toilets around Lost Canyon.

Song of the Day: Train Song by Ben Gibbard and Feist

No comments: