Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Still Stuck

What's love got to do, got to do with it?
What's love but a second-hand emotion?
What's love got to do, got to do with it?
Who needs a heart, when a heart can be broken?

I've had this song stuck in my head for approximately 5 years now.  Not lying.  I think I can add this to my list of reasons I fear a mental illness.  

The biggest problem is not that this song is super annoying, it's more so that the chorus, those 4 lines I have typed up there, are the only ones of the song that I know.  So I haven't really had a song stuck in my head for 5 years, just a chorus.

Now, normally I combat this by jamming to some sweet tunes in my car.  I am the ultimate car singer.  My friend Zack would tell you that he is.  And he is good.  You can see a sample of his skills at about 3:56 in this video which also features Glen.  To be fair, that doesn't even come close to fully representing Zack's ability to jam in the car.  I have never admired him as much as during the 14-hour road trip we took to Colorado a couple years a go.   

But I think I have him beat.  Case in point: when I was home in MO I actually lost my voice from singing (screaming) Beyonce's "If I Were a Boy" followed by Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" in the car.  You have to be singing pretty loudly to lose your voice in 10 minutes.
It was not pretty.  

But since I don't have a car in NYC, I'm just stuck with "What's Love Got to Do with it?" until I happen upon something catchier.   It's a pretty great song, but 5 years is too long.

Just so you know, I've sung the song (chorus) in my head about 10 times in the time it has taken me to write this post.  Also a few rounds of Fiona Apple's "Criminal" because, uh, it's awesome.

Sing it loud, sing it proud.  That's my new motto.  You can use it if you want.

Much Love.

No comments: